Saturday, October 16, 2010

IUD information

So I had my Planned Parenthood appointment yesterday. And as promised, I have all the information they were able to give me about the Mirena IUD.

However, I decided to wait at least 3 months before I make a decision on whether to get the IUD or not. In the meantime, PP gave me NuvaRing to try. NuvaRing was my second choice after the IUD, but I'm thinking it might be a better method for me. (Please read my NuvaRing blog for more information)

One of the biggest concerns for me regarding the IUD, was IUD displacement. It is extremely rare, but can cause sterility. This happens when the IUD punctures the uterus wall. I talked to the nurse at PP and she said it is extremely rare, but it IS a concern. Since I currently have no children, I'm not sure if I want to risk it. My boyfriend and I are planning on having a family once we're married, so I'm not sure I want to risk my ability to have children. No matter how low the risk.

So here is the information I was given:

INTRAUTERINE CONTRACEPTIVES (IUC)

IUCs are small, T-shaped pieces of plastic that are put in the uterus. There are two types of IUCs; The ParaGard has copper and is hormone free, and the Mirena which has the hormone progesterone.

The initial cost of an IUC is higher than most other methods. However, over the long run, the IUC may actually cost less than many other types of birth control. This is becuase the IUDs last over several years.

NOTE: If I were to get an IUC from Planned Parenthood, it would cost me nothing because I am under their fpep program. I would encourage you to check out all of your options before deciding which clinic to get an IUC inserted at.

How the IUC works:
Both ParaGard and Mirena affect the way sperm move so they can't join with an egg. For some women, Mirena may prevent the egg from leaving the ovary. This keeps sperm from getting to the eggs.

How well does the IUC work?
For every 100 women who use the IUC, fewer than 1 will get pregnant each year (It is more effective than birth control pills, the patch, NuvaRing, or condoms).

How is the IUC put in?
Your doctor will examine you and put a speculum (what they use for your anual pap smears) into your vagina. They usually measure your cervix to make sure the IUC will fit. The IUC will be put into the opening in your cervix and into the uterus. You may feel cramping (depending on how well you tolerate pain. Also, I've heard that it MAY [not will] be easier if you have already had children). A short length of plastic "string" will hang down into your vagina. This is for you to check to make sure your IUC is still in place.
   Some clinics may offer you medicine to help open your cervix. Some also offer local anesthesia to help numb the cervix.

THE ADVANTAGES
     MIRENA                                                                           PARAGARD
- fewer menstrual cramps                                                    - no hormones
- lighter periods/less blood loss -                                         - can be used for emergency contraception
   often periods stop after a few months
- less anemia (iron poor blood)

SIDE EFFECTS
- mild to moderate pain when the IUC is put in
- cramping or backache for a few days
- irregular periods or spotting between periods in the first 3-6 months (with Mirena)
- heavier periods and worse menstrual cramps (with ParaGard)

RISKS OF USING THE IUC
  • PERFORATION - Very rarely, the IUC could make a hole in your uterus when it is being put in. It could be pushed throgh the wall of the uterus. It could damage your internal organs and surgery is often needed to remove the IUC.
  • EXPULSION - Occasionally, the IUC will slip out of the uterus. You can become pregnant if this happens. The IUC must be removed if it comes out part way.
  • PREGNANCY - There is a small chance that you could get pregnant. You should see your health care provider right away if this happens. Your IUC needs to be removed and your health care provider needs to make sure you do not have a pregnancy in your tubes. This could lead to serious helath problems.
  • INFECTION - Your chance of getting a pelvic infection (PID) from an IUC is only increased in the first three weeks after that IUC is put in. If you get PID - whether or not you have an IUC - you need to get treated right away. If PID is not treated, it may be harder for you to get pregnant in the future.
  NOTE: I made sure to ask about the possibility of infection and the nurse told me they have a screening process they do before making an appoinment to insert an IUC. They also take a look at a patient's records for warning signs. They made sure I understood that infection wasn't BECAUSE of the IUC being inserted, it just increased the chances of getting an infection slightly.

THE IUC CANNOT BE USED BY WOMEN WHO
- have PID or had PID after giving birth or having an abortion in the past three months.
- have or may have an STI or certian other infections
- are pregnant
- have cervical cancer that hasn't been treated
- have cancer of the uterus
- have a uterus that is not normal
- have abnormal vaginal bleeding that has not been checked out
- have, or may have, an allergy to copper or have Wilson's Disease (ParaGard only)
- have breast cancer (Mirena only)

Talk to your doctor about your risks and health problems. Your doctor or nurse will examine you and help you decide if the IUC is right for you. You may also need special tests or follow-up.

WARNING SIGNS - CALL YOUR HEALTH CENTER RIGHT AWAY IF YOU:
- notice any change in the length of the string or can feel part of the IUC
- have ongoing pain or bleeding during intercourse
- think you are pregnant
- have no period after having a period every month
- have unprotected sex with someone who has an STI
- have unusual pain, cramping, or soreness in your lower belly or stomach
- have unsual vaginal discharge
- have unexplained fever or chills
- have bleeding from the vagina that is heavier than usual
- have trouble breathing

THE IUC DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS (STIs).


AGAIN, I WOULD ENCOURAGE ANYONE WHO IS CONSIDERING AN IUC, TO CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR AND GET ANY AND ALL INFORMATION POSSIBLE BEFORE MAKING A DECISION. EVERY HUMAN BODY IS DIFFERENT AND EVERY HUMAN BODY WILL REACT DIFFERENTLY TO HORMONES.

If anyone is interested, I found an extremely useful website that has IUC reviews. Check out, mymirenaexperience.com

No comments:

Post a Comment